Pickat – Pick your place (PLUS GIVEAWAY)
The most important question we ask everyday: WHAT SHOULD WE EAT?
Even as a food blogger, sometimes it is really hard to answer this question too. Especially when I am at some places which I am not familiar with, I don’t want to chin-chai give my friends an answer.
Pickat SG is a simple social location-based mobile application that allows you to discover, create and share interesting places and is so addictive it gets you hooked in seconds.
I think it is like a combination of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Foursquare! Simply pick a place, upload a photo, enter a short review and add a Theme to your choice of place! Themes can be as simple as “Hong Kong Dim Sum” or “Quiet Afternoon Tea Places”.
A “Pick” is Pickat’s version of a post, tweet, or check-in. A simple and easy way to remember what a Pick is: Place + Theme = Pick.
Has anyone ever asked you what you wanted to eat for lunch or for dinner? How do you usually respond? Most people will respond with either a specific restaurant, specific type of food, or based on a specific mood or circumstance. Let me give you some examples:
- “Let’s grab something cheap and quick,”
- “I’m in the mood for something really hearty or deep fried!”
- “Let’s just go to the closest Sushi joint,”
- “I need Caffeine… NOW!”
These are essentially what Themes are. They are the labels, the experiences or the perspectives we have of a particular place. To me, it is just like a TAGLINE.
Let’s say you and I had lunch together at a place called “Market Grill” and you were really impressed with the food and recipe. Your memory of Market Grill might be a theme along the lines of “To-Die-For Juicy Burgers.” However, during our meal, what stood out most to me wasn’t the food or the ambiance, but it was the very cute server that had served us. My memory of Market Grill will probably be along the lines of “Super Friendly Staff and Service.”
Make associations and labels for every place we visit based on our impressions, experiences, and memories. Themes are – short impressions, memories, or reviews… It’s what makes Pickat unique!
I will try my best to teach you how to make a pick. I have recently visited You Huak Restaurant so I will use it as an example. This place is famous for its Sembawang white bee hoon.
5. Upload photos, maximum 4 photos. You can do it when you are at the makan place itself. Or if you are like me, likes to take your own sweet time to edit the photos, you can do it at home. Basically, you can do it anywhere lah!
6. Choose a theme. You can choose from the available or create your own unique theme. Here, I searched “Hawker” for a list of themes and picked the one most suited. If there is nothing you like, create your own theme. I have a “MissTamChiak Favourite Hawker” as my unique theme, so you can check out where I like to eat!
8. Like, Share and Bookmark. You can tell others if you like this place by tapping “like” or “So-So”. Share it on Facebook or twitter, and you can also bookmark it. You can share reviews of your favourite restaurants or “Repick” another to add your version. Repick is just like retweet!
SK Planet is also working with some favourite local eateries to bring you discounts! In the application, there is a “COUPON” tab where you can check out the latest coupons and discounts deals around you while on the go.
From 20 to 30 June, enjoy a free drink on Ya Kun. Just download the app, download the coupon & show it to Yakun counterstaff.
When you download (app store / google playstore), click “DOWNLOAD” coupon and “REDEEM” the coupon only at Ya Kun stores. You get a FREE YA KUN ICED COFFEE OR TEA! Just present this coupon to the staff. This coupon is valid for all 40 Yakun stores, except Takashimaya and Far East Square Ya Kun Stores. Limited to one redemption per user. **Coupon can only be redeemed by Ya Kun staff**
So I have tried Pickat a few months and really love it. Because it gives detailed information of each makan location (for example the opening hours, address etc) and I can add in my own comments and share it on my social media platforms.
To be frank, I initially hated Theme because I was confused on how to use it and thought it is a waste of time. But after knowing the purpose (i.e. tagline), I had fun with it especially when creating my unqiue theme. It feels very personalized. Download the app (app store / google playstore) and give it a try. Don’t forget to follow me at Miss Tam Chiak.
Calling all K-POP Fans out there! I am giving away 1 pair of Asia Style Collection 2013 ticket that is happening on the 22nd June. You can meet your favourite girl bands SNSD & 2NE1! *screams*
How to WIN:
1. Download Pickat SG App. (app store / google playstore)
2. Answer a simple question “Name 1 of our Top Pickers on Pickat SG”
2. Leave a comment with your answer and Pickat SG ID.
It’s that simple! Join now and you could be the LUCKY WINNER!
Terms and Conditions
1. Giveaway period is from 13 June – 18 June 2013.
2. All participants must download Pickat SG to qualify for the chance to win
3. Each participant shall be entitled to make one (1) entry into the Giveaway only.
4. All participants must be a resident of Singapore.
5. The Prize is neither transferable nor exchangeable and cannot be exchanged for money or money’s worth.