Recipe – The Ultimate Butter Cookies (some say, it tastes like Jenny Bakery!)
When Jenny Bakery arrived in Singapore, everyone went crazy. We see queues forming early in the morning despite the heat and haze outside. This Hong Kong’s cookie shop is famous for its butter and coffee cookies which draw long queues in Hong Kong and are so popular that a black market has sprung up with resellers offering the cookies at rocket high prices.
I got a little crazy over it too. Because it’s almost impossible to get the cookies in Hong Kong nor in Singapore (unless you queue for hours). So I went online to google for butter cookies recipe, hoping to bake some for my own consumption. Shockingly, I found that many avid bakers have been coming up with recipes that tastes VERY SIMILAR to Jenny’s biscuits!
In my house, we experimented with three different recipes and conducted a blind test in the family. The first recipe, we used 125g butter, 55g caster sugar, 32ml milk, 126g cake flour and 60g rice flour. It turned out hard and we had to dip it into our drinks to soften it. The second recipe, we used 200g butter, 50g caster sugar, 75g all-purpose flour, 75g bread flour and 50g corn starch. It was not bad, a little bit of bite but didn’t exactly melt in the mouth. The third time, we substituted all-purpose flour to top flour (wheat flour) and it was softer but I think can be better.
After experimenting it again last night fine tuning the recipe, we are very happy. When you placed our butter cookies in the mouth, IT MELTS LITERALLY. Like you don’t even have to bite it. And the use of Golden Churn Tin Butter brings so much fragrance to the cookies. Let me remind you to sift the flour because it is much lighter than unsifted flour and aerates it at the same time, hence making the cookies airy and delicate. I really love it and we already have plans to bake more of it and give it as Christmas presents for our friends!
Presenting to you…. THE ULTIMATE BUTTER COOKIES!
- 200 g butter
- 50 g icing sugar sifted
- 50 g plain flour
- 100 g wheat flour or top flour
- 50 g corn flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
- Cream butter and gradually add in the sifted icing sugar and beat till pale and fluffy.
- Sift plain flour, wheat flour and corn flour twice.
- Fold the ingredients together with a spatula until it is well incorporated. Do not beat or over mix as you will not achieve the airy texture.
- Put the dough into a piping bag with star dip nozzle.
- Pipe the cookies onto the baking tray lined with baking paper. Leave 1 cm in between cookies as they will expand a little during baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies turn light golden brown.
- Leave it to cool on a cooling rack before storing them in air-tight container.
MUST USE Golden Churn Tin Butter