Chinese New Year 2012 – Chinatown
Events not to be missed:
1. Stage Shows
At Kreta Ayer Square, there will be cultural performances every night which includes, opera, lion dances etc. It will run from now till 22 Jan 2012, from 7.30pm to 10pm.
2. Chinatown Chinese New Year’s Eve Countdown Party
It will take place on the evening of January 22, along Eu Tong Sen Street and New Bridge Road, from 9:30pm to 12:30am.
3. Singapore River Hong Bao Carnival
If you have nowhere to go on Chinese New Year Day 1 and 2, visit River Hong Bao Carnival at The Float @ Marina Bay. There will be fireworks on 21 Jan 8pm and 22 Jan 12am.
How to beat the crowd:
1. Go light: If your purpose of visit is to shop for Chinese New Year goodies or decorations, please go light. Carrying a camera bag with tripod or a heavy school bag will make your shopping less enjoyable.
2. Arrive early: If you don’t want to face the human jam, go as early as 2pm, and leave at 7pm. You can shop at ease. But, be prepared for the heat!
3. Do not wear slippers: If you just did your pedicure or fear the mad human jam will cause someone to step on your toes, wear covered shoes.
4. Take care of your belongings: You don’t want your bag or wallet to get lost or stolen in the crowd. And make sure you always have your mobile phone, in case you and your family/friends lost each other in the crowd.