Recipe – Chicken Rice (for #CookForFamily Initiative)
Many of us spend long hours at work, leaving very little time and energy for anything else, let alone exercise and home-cooking. So, it is no surprise that more and more Singaporeans are eating out more often than before. Figures from Health Promotion Board (HPB) in 2010 show that, 6 in 10 Singaporeans ate out four times a week. And this number could be higher now.
I do try to make it a point to eat with my grandfather at least 4 times a week. Once in a while, I whip up a good dinner for my family too. I feel this is an important family bonding time and we should do it more often! So when Daniel from Daniel’s Food Diary approached me to take part in his #CookForFamily Initiative, I agreed immediately and decided to share this chicken rice recipe with you guys.
I am a Hainanese and I grew up eating chicken rice. If there is one dish that I can’t leave without, it is most probably be chicken rice. This dish is incredibly easy to make; and brings a flavor of the Straits of Malacca to your dinner table with minimum fuss. My family loves it when the chicken rice is cooked for dinner.
This may not be the best chicken rice in Singapore, but because it is cooked for the family, with a loving heart, this became a very special dish close to our hearts. And my family love it! So if you have a day to spare this weekend, head to the supermarket and cook a meal for your family. I am sure it will be the best meal in the world.
For the Chicken
1 whole chicken
2 slice ginger
1 pot of ice water, enough to cover chicken
1. Wash chicken.
2. Rub salt all over the chicken.
3. Boil the whole chicken for about 30 minutes.
4. Place the cooked chicken in ice water for about 10 minutes. Keep the stock for later use.
5. Drain the chicken and cut into appropriate size.
For the Rice
Ingredients (for 5 pax):
5 cups rice, rinsed and drained
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced.
3 slices ginger, minced
2 pc spring onion
2 pandan leaves, tied in knot
2 tsp salt
8-9 cups chicken stock
1. Add some oil into work, stir fry garlic, spring onions, garlic and pandan leaves till fragrant.
2. Add in uncooked rice, mix quickly. Add salt to taste.
3. Place the rice into rice cooker and pour in chicken stock. Cook according to rice cooker’s manual instruction.
For the Chilli Sauce
10 pcs red chilli
1 slice ginger
5 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tsp salt
5 pcs onion
6 pcs lime
1/2 tsp sugar
some chicken stock
1. Blend ginger, red chilli, garlic and onion.
2. Mix with chicken stock, salt and sugar.
3. Cook the chilli paste till boiling (optional).
4. Add in lime.