Recipe – Lemon Berry Cupcakes with Mascarpone Frosting
Hello! I am sick again boohoo. Last week I sprained my leg while running after a cab. Then yesterday, I had a really bad cold and couldn’t write a blog post. It has been a really crazy week but I am glad it was all over and now I can take things slower.
Did I tell you guys that my aunt is addicted to baking now? We spent our Labour Day labouring in the kitchen, baking some lemon-scented cupcakes. What makes it special is the used of juicy berries that explode in your mouth with every bite.
We used a lighter mascrpone frosting this time which is creamy and slightly sweeter. But definitely easier to spoon over the cupcakes. Enjoy!
Lemon Berry with Mascarpone Frosting
- 125 g all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 140 g sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 65 g unsalted butter melted
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 125 ml full cream milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- lemon ring grated from 1/2 lemon
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- 12 raspberries
- 12 blueberries
- 200 g heavy cream
- 250 g mascarpone cheese
- 50 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. Line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda into a bowl. Mix sugar and salt into the flour mixture. Set aside.
- Prepare buttermilk mixture. Combine butter and egg in a bowl. Stir with a whist. Add buttermilk, milk, vanilla extract, lemon rind and lemon essential oil. Continue to whisk until everything is well incorporated.
- Slowly add buttermilk mixture into flour mixture prepared in Step 2. Whisk until batter is well blended and moist.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liner until two-thirds full. Drop 1 raspberry and 1 blueberry into each cupcake liner.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cupcakes sit in muffin tray for 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from tray and place on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
For Mascarpone Frosting
- Beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- In a seperate bowl, beat mascarpone cheese and half the sugar until soft and creamy. Taste and add more sugar as desired.
- Fold whipped heavy cream into mascarpone cheese and continue beating until well incorporated.
- Using the back of a spoon, spread the frosting over cupcakes. Top with raspberries and blueberries. Or you can cover with cling wrap and chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Adapted from Cupcakes with attitude by Benjamin Wong
In other news, besides tiring ourselves with all the cupcake baking, I have also cooked a bowl of bird’s nest for my aunty in celebration for Mother’s Day. Using Superior Crystal and Royal Golden Bird’s Nest from Eu Yan Sang, these bird’s nest is rich in Epidermal Growth Factor (EGF) and precious nutrients which boosts immunity and keeps skin smooth and radiant.
To the woman who has been taking care of me since the day I came to this world, thank you for your love and sacrifices all these years. I LOVE YOU!