Recipe – Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Cheese Cake
A long, long time ago, in a land not so far away (Great Britain in fact), blackcurrant syrup began life when Dr Vernon Charley was researching pure fruit juices for milkshakes. Ribena was born and its name came from the Latin word for blackcurrants: Ribes Nigrum.
Do you know that during World War II a lack of vitamin C in the UK led to a government decree and Ribena was given as a vitamin C supplement in schools, hospitals and nursing homes. To this day, Ribena remains rich in vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant.
Ribena has also played a part in my childhood. After I came home from school , it’s usually hot and thirsty. My aunt would often make a refreshing glass of sweet Ribena for me. It’s always good and a thirst quenching deliciousness. Till today, we still buy Ribena and would always have a bottle or two in our house.
What makes Ribena a favourite drink among many is because it uses 100% blackcurrants from New Zealand! And these berries have to go through 30 quality checks to ensure that only the best is used. It clearly shows they pay so much attention to ensure the product’s quality. No wonder they are the NUMBER ONE selling cordial in Singapore!
Have you wondered why is Ribena purple in colour? Because it comes from the natural purple colour from fruit skin: Anthocyanin. No artificial colour, flavour or sweeteners added for the concentrate magical taste.
Ribena Cordial is great for young and old. Besides serving as a drink, Ribena Cordial can also be used for cooking and baking. In this blogpost, I made Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Cheesecake!
Jello cheesecake is definitely one of my all time favorite childhood desserts. I started eating it since young when one of my primary school teacher offered to us after our examinations. When I grew up, I started making this simple cheesecake for parties. I usually make the plain cream cheese but my aunty didn’t like it as it was too creamy for her. However, when I added Ribena cordial into the cream cheese, it became more refreshing and even the kids at a party love it! This recipe is very simple, but here is a tip for you. Try making it at least one day in advance because you need to chill and set the cake!
Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Cheese Cake
Cookies Crusted Base
- 200 g Digestive biscuit crumbs
- 120 g butter melted
Ribena Cheese Cream
- 100 gm marshmallow plain
- 150 g fresh milk 100 gm
- 3/4 tsp agar agar powder
- 80 g Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Fruit Cordial
- 250 gm cream Cheese
- 15 gm gelatin granules
Strawberry Jell-O Top Layer
- 1 packets JELL-O strawberry crystals
- 1 teaspoon gelatin powder
- 1/4 tsp agar agar powder
- 3 tbsp Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Fruit Corial
- Process cookies in food processor until finely ground. Add butter and mix well. Press onto bottom of an 8-inch pan. Press firmly and bake in 160 degree celsius oven for 8 minutes, remove and allow cooling. (Best refrigerate till firm before working) Chill in the freezer compartment for at least 1 hour.
- Measure 1/4 cup warm water into a small bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin powder (without stirring). Set aside to allow the gelatin grains to bloom.
- Cream Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Fruit Cordial with cream cheese till softens, set aside.
- Heat milk till hot and add in agar agar powder, marshmallow and bloomed gelatin, stirring till marshmallow & gelatin are complete dissolved. Leave to cool slightly, mix in the Ribena cream cheese.
- Boil the strawberry jello powder, gelatin powder and agar agar powder in 300ml hot water. Add in 3 tablespoon of Ribena Blackcurrant & Strawberry Fruit Cordial.
- Pour half the Ribena cream cheese mixture onto pre-prepared cookies biscuit layer, return to refrigerate until well set and firm (about 30 minutes). Pour in the strawberry jello to the surface of the cake. Return to chill until well set. Unmold, serve and enjoy!
Adapted from https://www.facebook.com/ribenasingapore
As you can see, I cut too huge a piece for myself that it can’t fit into my dessert plate! Haha! You can choose to just pour in the plain strawberry jello. For me, I decorated it with blueberries and strawberries. I love the thick layer of Ribena flavoured cream cheese. The next time I bake this, I am going to try other flavours!
• Ribena 1L Cordial comes in 6 different flavours: Blackcurrant, Glucose Blackcurrant, Less Sweet Blackcurrant, Apple & Blackcurrant, Blueberry & Blackcurrant, Strawberry & Blackcurrant. Each bottle costs $7.70.
• 330ml Cheer Park comes in 5 flavours: Blackcurrant, Less Sweet, Blackcurrant & Lemon, Blackcurrant & Cranberry, Blackcurrant & Strawberry. Each pack costs $1.50.
• PET500ml Bottle has four flavours: Blackcurrant, Blackcruant & Strawberry, Blackcurrant & Blueberry, Blackcurrant & Lemon. Each bottle costs $1.80.
• Blackcurrant Sparkling 250ml glass bottle costs $1.30.
For more information, please visit https://www.facebook.com/ribenasingapore
Happy news! Sharing is caring yoyo! Big big thank you to Ribena, I am giving away 10 recipe booklets to 10 lucky readers! These recipe booklets contain mouth-watering Ribena dishes with easy-to-follow steps.
How to win?
1. Simply comment on why you would like to win the recipe booklet on my FACEBOOK PAGE.
10 lucky winners will be picked randomly and the recipe booklet will be delivered to you. For readers residing in Singapore only. Closing date: 14 August 2015, good luck!