Recipe – Stir Fried Eggs with Tomatoes
Do you have a childhood dish you remember? For me, I have many! Like steamed egg lah, yam rice lah, and stir fried eggs with tomatoes (蕃茄炒蛋 or 西红柿炒蛋). This is a very simple dish. Basic ingredients is only egg and and tomatoes, you just need a bit of flavourings and you are done!
Some recipes do this without ketchup but I thought by adding ketchup, it will enhance the taste of the tomatoes. And adding abit of shaoxing wine to any Chinese dish will make it taste better instantly! It’s a pretty dish. Cheerful yellow with some green parsley and red tomatoes. The most difficult part of this is to make sure the eggs do not overcook.
Stir Fried Eggs with Tomatoes (蕃茄炒蛋/西红柿炒蛋)
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Shao xing rice wine
3 tablespoons cooking oil
1 tomato, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/4 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons water
1. In a small bowl, stir cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water. Set aside.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl and use chopsticks to beat the eggs until they break thoroughly. Add salt, sesame oil, shaoxing wine, white pepper, and lightly beat to blend well. Set aside.
3. Heat up a wok with 2 tablespoons cooking oil. Add the egg mixture into the wok, and use your spatula to spread the eggs. cook for about a minute till the eggs are tender. Remove and set aside.
4. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the wok, add the chopped tomatoes to the wok and stir-fry. Add the ketchup, water and sugar and cornstarch mixture. Stir well until the mixture has thickened slightly.
5. Add the eggs back to the wok and stir-fry until everything is mixed. Garnish with some parsley. Serve immediately.