Recipe – Strawberry and Cream Swiss Roll
HELLO! I AM BACK! *dances* Happy to be eating my bak chor mee and chicken rice again. And of course, there are so many plans for the second half of 2014. One of which is, I am happy to announce that I am leading a 5 Days TAIWAN Tam Chiak Foodie Tour with Hong Thai Travel Singapore on 23 October 2014. I have spent many months planning with the Hong Thai team and it’s finally happening! Follow me as I bring you around Taipei and Taichung to look for the trendiest restaurants/cafes/eateries in town. Not only that, we will also visit the flower fields in Xinshe Township and you will also learn to make your own bubble tea, thunder rice and pineapple cakes! Gosh, I am so excited myself!
If you are free this Sunday (13 July 2014), drop by Hong Thai Travel Fair at Suntec Convention Hall 404 as I share with you more about the trip. You can also get more details here or call 6533 1788. See you in Taiwan!
So anyway, a few weeks back I have been treated with Rich & Good swiss rolls so many times that I decided to bake a swiss roll too. Of course, not something similar to theirs but I love my strawberry and cream swiss roll too! Using fresh strawberries and cream, this is a light swiss roll with delicious filling. Just that I didn’t roll it too tightly so it looks abit fat and flat. Heh heh.
Strawberry and Cream Swiss Roll
Ingredients for the cake
- 5 egg whites
- 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cake flour
Ingredients for the filling
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh strawberries diced
To bake the cake
- Preheat the oven to 190 degree celsius.
- Grease a 10 by 15-inch baking pan. Then, line the pan with parchment paper. Make sure the parchment pager is large enough to have at least 2-inch excess on all sides for easy removal.
- Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until frothy. Then slowly add in around 1/2 of the sugar and beat until stiff peak forms.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until light and pale yellow. Then add the vanilla extract, melted butter, pinch of salt and heavy cream until incorporated.
- Sift the cake flour into the egg yolk mixture. Add the lemon zest and lemon juice and fold until all ingredients are just combined.
- Fold egg whites into the egg yolk mixture in batches. Gently spread the cake batter evenly onto the prepared cake pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the cake and comes out clean. Place on a wiring rack until completely cooled.
To prepare the filling
- Beat the heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla until stiff peak formed.
To assemble the cake
- Spread the whipped cream evenly onto the cooled cake. Sprinkle the strawberries onto the cream evenly. Roll the cake up, from the shorter end and serve.
Adapted from uTry.it