Recipe – Strawberry Shortcake
It’s one of my aunty’s birthday and we were thinking what should we bake for her. Initially, we wanted to bake chocolate cake with cherries but I am not a big fan of cherries (even though the birthday cake is not for me lah). Haha! So as I was googling, I came across this superb easy recipe for strawberry shortcake. So we decided to go for it. Man, the sponge cake only uses 4 ingredients – flour, sugar, butter and egg. Just make sure you have patience to beat the egg till fluffy, and you will be rewarded with super soft sponge cake!
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 60 g cake flour
- 20 g melted unsalted butter
- 20 ml hot water
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp rum
- fresh strawberries
- 300 ml whipping cream
- 1 &1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- a few drops vanilla extract
- Line the round cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 170C (338F).
- Beat eggs with wire whisk in a metal bowl. Mix sugar and place it over a bowl of hot water and melt the sugar and warm them up to body temperature. Then remove from the hot water and beat the batter on high speed with an electric mixer until white and fluffy. Then on low speed, beat for about a minute to set the texture.
- Sift in flour little by little and gently cut through the mixture with wire whisk until somewhat combined. Then add melted butter, and quickly lift up the batter to mix.
- Pour the batter into the pan and drop the pan lightly on the counter to raise the air bubbles out of the batter. Bake at 170C (338F) for 25 minutes.
- When it's ready, place the cake pan upside down and cool with the pan on top.
- When it’s completely cool, wrap with plastic wrap and rest the sponge cake in the fridge for a few hours.
- Mix granulated sugar and hot water until dissolved. Then add in rum.
- Combine fresh cream, granulated sugar, vanilla extract in a dry, clean bowl. Float the bottom of the bowl in ice water, whisk the cream until it forms a soft peak.
- Slice the sponge cake crosswise into 2 layers. Gently brush the sponge cake with syrup (brush all the surfaces which will be coated with cream).
- Place one layer of the sponge cake on a plate. Coat the surface of the sponge cake evenly with the cream. Place cut strawberries over the creamed surface. Then coat again with the cream. Place another layer of sponge cake, and frost top and side with the cream. Garnish with strawberries. Rest the cake in the fridge for 1 or 2 hours before you serve.
You can store it in the fridge for 2 to 3 days and decorate the cake when needed.
Adapted from Ochikeron