Recipe – Le Fraisier Cake
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY to all the mummies in the world! We had a celebration a few days back, aunty and I baked this cake together. It is a very tedious process but we are very happy with the final result. We didn’t know how many strawberries we need so ended up buying 4 boxes. Now our fridge is loaded with loads of strawberries that we eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL. The happiest part is definitely the assembly of cake. I simply did a few quick shots because I didn’t want it to be out in the humid weather for too long. Steps are pretty simple and straightforward. Enjoy!
RECIPE – LE FRAISIER CAKE
(adapted from Pastry Chef Sam, Capella Hotel)
Step 1: Roulade (rolled sponge)
150g egg whites (5 nos)
100g egg yolks (5 nos)
30g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
80g cake flour, sifted twice
1. Preheat oven to 210 degree celsius, without bottom heat.
2. Whisk egg whites in a mixer till foamy. Add sugar gradually and whisk till stiff peaks form.
3. Meanwhile, combine melted butter, honey and yolks in a bowl. Mix well.
4. Once egg whites are stiffened, add in butter mixture till combined. Fold in cake flour.
5. Pour batter into the pan and spread. Baked in the preheated oven for about 10-12 minutes, till golden brown.
Step 2: Creme Patissiere (pastry cream)
50g + 50g sugar
40g corn flour
80g egg yolks (4 nos)
1/8 tsp vanilla essence
1. Mix yolks, corn flour and 50g of sugar in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Boil milk, 50g of sugar and vanilla essence. Pour half of the mixture into the yolk mixture and whisk well.
3. Strain back into the pot. On medium heat, whisk the mixture constantly till tick, taking care not to burn it.
4. Once boiled, continue to whisk for another 1-2 minutes till smooth.
Step 3: Creme Mousseline
400g creme patissiere
150g unsalted butter, softened
40g kirsch (optional)
1. Combine creme patissiere, butter and kirsch in a mixing bowl and cream till light and fluffy.
Step 4: Assembly of cake
1. Cut the sponge cake into two rounds. Lay one sponge in a cake ring. Brush sugar syrup onto one sponge and arrange half strawberries along the sides.
2. Spread a layer of creme mousseline and add berries in the centre. Top with the other sponge and moisten it with sugar syrup.
3. Cover the top of the cake with more creme mousseline. To finish, decorate it with more berries on top of the cake. Enjoy