Recipe – Portuguese Egg Tarts (GIVEAWAY CLOSED)
The history of portuguese egg tart dates back to 200 years, when it was first made by Catholic nuns at Jeronimos Monastery. It is believed that the dessert was first sold at a pastry shop named Casa Pastéis de Belém in 1837. Today it is regularly sold in all pastry shops owned by Portuguese living all over the globe.
Unfortunately I didn’t have the chance to eat it in Portugal but I did have the chance to try Lord Stow’s Bakery’s version at Macau. Consisting of a flaky pastry shell, these portuguese egg tarts comes with a rich, sweet egg custard filling with a consistency similar to creme brulee. A caramelized top plays an integral role in the taste and it is best eaten warm.
Baking portugese egg tart has been on my “To Do List” for the longest of time and I am glad that it has happened over the weekends. The hardest part was layering the pastry which I think is still not very well done this time. But the pastry margarine makes the pastry tasty. I am in love with the egg custard we did this time. It’s pretty good!
- 200g flour
- 25g butter
- 1/8tsp salt
- 110g water.
- 150g Pastry margarine
- 200g dairy whipping cream
- 300g milk
- 80g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- Mix (A) to form a smooth dough. Let it rest for 15mins.
- Roll the dough into square, and wrap up pastry margarine (B).
- Then roll into rectangular, fold into 3 layer once and 4 layer twice.
- Roll out the dough into 3-mm thick. Roll it up like swiss roll.
- Cling wrap the dough and chill it for 30 minutes or until firm (We chill it for 3 hours).
- Cook whipping cream and milk until 70C.
- Stir in sugar and cook until the sugar dissolves.
- Add it into the beaten eggs and egg yolks.
- Mix until well blended. Set aside to cool.
- Divide pastry into 25g portions. Flatten the pastry and roll it into about 3mm thickness. Press onto the tart moulds.
- Pour the filling into the pastry tarts about 80% full.
- Bake at 220C for 20-25 minutes. Serve.
SCS Star Baker Challenge 2014
Have you submitted your entry to SCS Star Baker Challenge 2014? Log on to www.SCSdairy.com, go to ‘Star Baker Challenge’ to submit your creations! No matter you are a home baker or a professional, you are welcome to join! Submissions can be made via mobile or computers. Deadline has been extended to 22 June 2014. #SCSstarbakerchallenge2014
WIN SCS BAKER’S KIT
If you love baking or are a big fan of SCS, here’s your chance to win a SCS Baker’s Kit (worth S$128)! Thanks to SCS Dairy, 4 lucky readers will get to win this SCS Baker’s Kit. All you have to do is to answer a simple question:
Tell us why you should win the SCS Baker’s Kit.
Giveaway ends on 20 June 2014 (Friday), 23:59. Four best answers will be picked. Good luck!
Congrats to all winners!